Monday 25 May 2009

Key Fob Light

This was a project I did just as a bit of fun, and initially was only intended to be used as a means of getting to know Solidworks cad software a little better. The idea was a single injection moulded key fob light. It would be made of silicon or rubber and it would fit around the end of a door key. Inside it would house a small battery and an ultra bright led, it was dimensioned in such a way that would mean that deformation by squeezing will cause the legs of the led to touch the battery and the light to turn on.


I took the project a little further and decided to design the injection mould as well, this meant that I had to take into account draft angles, split lines and injection points.


I then took it further still by manufacturing a high density foam prototype of the mould and forming a mock-up of it using alginate. I then tried to make a mod-rock cast from the male alginate piece but due to the lack of transfer accuracy and the soft nature of alginate it did not really work. I was good from a learning point of view though and I was happy with the end design even if the model left a little to be desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment